Custom Search

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Music Of a Different Culture



I honestly think despite that if you were born in America or your parents were born in America, you should also value and learn about your own roots. We all at one time (unless you are Native American) came from somewhere other then the U.S.

There is a pride I have of being Hungarian by the things my parents taught me about my own ancestor's culture. I wasn't born in Hungary nor were my parents. I grew up eating Hungarian food, attending Hungarian festivals and learning even a few Hungarian phrases. Although my husband thinks it is funny that if people ask what am I, I won't say American (though that is the obvious answer), but I will tell you I am Hungarian, German and Scandinavian.

I am also profoundly proud of my husband's roots. He was born in the former Soviet Union, now Russia. He grew up totally different then me. It baffles my mind that he didn't watch the same cartoons I did (although he did say he watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), eat the same American foods, or even celebrate the same holidays I did as a child. On August 21, 1991 my husband was in Moscow when the Soviet Union fell. I was also in Europe and I believe in Hungary as a nine year old. My Dad thought to drive into Russia, but quickly changed his mind when he saw what was on the news. However I was unaware of what was going on in the world. I was a care free American kid playing on Bogár utca (Bogár Street)with another Hungarian boy, while my husband watched tanks rolling outside his window and asked his Mom if he could play on them.

My husband grew up watching Nu Pigadi . He ate pelmeni and drank Kvass. He spent various weekends at his Grandparent's dacha and helped them pull weeds and tended the gardens. He remembers Coca Cola being a rare treat and often a 12oz can would be divided between three other people. Children in Russia just grew up very differently then American children did in his same era. I am constantly fascinated by his stories and love learning about his culture.

Which brings me (finally) to introducing the video that I embedded above. This video is of a group called Lubeh (Любэ). I absolutely love this music and funny enough, I was the one that introduced it to my husband, although he does claim that some of the songs sound very familiar. I wouldn't be surprised that he did listen to this group has been around for at least twenty years. They are also the same group that took Russian National Anthem and made it into a rock song. Pretty cool in my book. In my opinion, this Russian group is much like the American group, The Eagles but with a tad bit more patriotism for their country. I encourage you all to listen to it. Click on the play list and just hear it out. They don't curse, sing to heavily or insult anyone so the kiddos can be around when you listen to it. I also like that there are english subtitles underneath some of the play list videos. Just enjoy a glimpse of Russian culture.

No comments: