Custom Search

Friday, October 24, 2008

First Night Away


This weekend will be the first time my son has stayed away over night. My husband and I were invited to a friend's Halloween party this Saturday. It will be one of our first parties since we became parents that is late (past 2 pm) and kid free! We even planned (since the party won't be until 8 o'clock that evening), to have a dinner date. My son will be going to his Grandparents house. I know that he will have loads of fun, be completely spoiled and have lots of great kiddo treats. So why am I a nervous wreck?

I am a worry wart Mom. I don't try to helicopter my young toddler son, since I want him to be able to experience things; however I want to be with him as much as humanly (and financially) possible. The highlight of my day is running out of work and seeing his little face as I open the day care room door. I am completely in love and infatuated with him. He certainly is the apple of my eye. He has grown so fast and its hard even calling him a toddler. Where did my infant go? Where did the little guy that used to be cradled in my arms for hours at a time go? He's getting big and although many parents will leave their kids at a younger age with family or friends over night, I just never did. "He's too little", I used to think. Now, this is another marker in his little life of growing up and going to an over night stay.

Selfishly I wish my son's Grandparents would stay up until we got home so I could sneak a peak (as I do every night) at my baby sleeping soundly in his crib before I go to sleep. But, I can't do that to them. It wouldn't be right and my parents aren't the type to stay awake much past 10pm. It will be a fun night for me, but one of the most difficult nights of my life.

No comments: