Custom Search

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Patience


I am a lot of things. I am a Mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a Aunt. I am also very loving, loyal, honest, generous, shy when I'm in a new place, very outgoing when I am comfortable, sensitive, a fantastic multi-tasker and a decent baker. What I am not though is patient.

I was always in a hurry for the next thing. When I was growing up I couldn't wait for elementary school, then I couldn't wait to middle school, then high school and then finally college. Once I met the man of my dreams I couldn't WAIT until we got married then when I felt that little twinge of wanting to a be a Mom, I couldn't wait for that either (thankfully it happened quickly). Once I had my son I couldn't wait to see him roll over, to crawl or walk. Then I got to a point where I couldn't wait to hear him talk since his speech was a bit delayed causing very stressful issues at home, his school,and even friends and family's houses.

Now as I see my little baby growing up so quickly, I want to slow down time. I am gaining patience in his sometimes frustrating toddler antics. I remember to count to ten when he's throwing a tantrum (it really does work). I marvel at his little personality emerging. He's such a fun and cool person! However, I have gotten a little sad when he lately has been wanting to do things by himself like put on his shoes and his clothes. I know its a help to me, but it means my baby is growing up. I know he can't be a baby forever, but I have certainly learned and gained more patience in that area of my life. I want to soak it up for everything its worth and enjoy the present. I've honestly learned the true meaning of the little poem below (it still makes me tear up).

“Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow,
For babies grow up, I’ve learned, to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep.”

While I am gaining patience in regards to my son, I am still not patient in other areas of life. I am a planner by nature. I want to know when things are going to happen and how quickly I can resolve the not so fun things in my life. Discovering we owe a huge bill this past month that we didn't know about...was very daunting and very unnerving. It is working itself out, but I want to pay down all of our bills and debt and its taking forever. We are knocking things down (i.e, my car last month was paid off), but paying things off is a very slow and tedious task. There are just other areas in my life that I wish I had more patience for!!!

I am trying to learn to have more patience. I am praying to God and counting to ten when things frustrate me. I've seen a little of God's warm hand touching my shoulder and helping me. I did get a 6% raise yesterday (still waiting for the paper work to clear so knock on wood). I am thankful I have a husband that can calm me down when I am frazzled. I am thankful for my beautiful, healthy and loving son. I would just like to be more thankful for patience. Can I have some please?

...Now I have the Guns N' Roses song in my head...

...
"It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience..."

No comments: