Custom Search

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tomorrow


Tomorrow my son will be turning THREE. I can't fathom that three years has passed by so quickly in literally a blink of an eye. Three years ago this day I was expecting to go into Loudoun Hospital to induce my son (blood pressure issues) at 7pm. I considered it lucky because the date was 7/7/2007 at 7pm. How neat was that? My husband thought there was an inkling of a chance that I could push out my first baby in less then five hours. While some are lucky to be able to have fast labor/deliveries, I laughed. I was just glad that I was going to finally meet my son.

My gorgeous, beautiful son arrived at 1:40pm on July 8th. He weighed in at 6lbs 5 oz and was 20 inches long. He was the most beautiful thing I ever saw and I never seen my husbands eyes marvel at the wonder and miraculous moment in seeing the birth of his son. If I had to describe his facial expression it would be like a young child seeing the wonder of Disney World for the first time. So much was going through his head. We teared up a bit but couldn't take our eyes off this miracle we created. My husband had his son, his legacy as he calls him. My husband desperately wanted at least one son in the worst way. I was just glad to have a healthy baby in my arms.

I remember watching the beauty of my son for the first hour when grandparents, my sister and my brother in law made it to our room. I know they said congratulatory things, wanted to help, but I honestly can't recall anything except to just look at my son in that first few hours. His eyes were wide open and aware of everything around him. He was ready to go...much like he is now. He's always rearing to go and do something. Once I got home, the first week was hard on me as I am sure it is hard on any new mother recuperating. We didn't have any help, which was a surprise to both of us, but my husband as always pushes through and took care of a newborn (he never cared for a baby in his life) and me at the same time. I am to this day impressed he took on the job so seamlessly.

My sons baby little hands and tiny baby giggles have grown into a full fledged kid, running, jumping, learning his manners (his "thank you" is to die for) and laughs at the silliest things. He is so independent and such a little firecracker. While he looks like his Dad quite a bit, he certainly has gained the wild personality I had as a child. I "get" him. It sounds weird to say because Moms should "get" their children, but with so much of the same personality shared between us, I don't try to tone down his excitement or enthusiasm like I think a lot of parents would had they not "got" their kid. I remember those same feelings, so I do my best to direct them in a positive way.

I am thankful to God for my son. He is the handful of handfuls, but I don't know what I would do if I had a timid child. How boring it would be! He's full of personality and full of life. I marvel at the miracle he is. How special he is. Knowing that I was gifted to raising this child to love God, to love people and to excel in life is just a huge but awesome responsibility. I hope I can live up to being the Mom he wants me to be. I love him so very much. I just can't believe my baby is growing up so quickly. Happy Birthday little man. Your Mom loves you so very very very much.

No comments: