Custom Search

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Toddler Translation Solved...At Least I Think


Some of you may remember a post I wrote the other day on troubles with toddler translation. Although some words can be very clear or you can kind of guess what they want, my little man had me stumped for a while wondering what the heck he was trying to say. Literally I would do everything trying to guess what he would want when he would say something that resembled "monkeys". I went down the list from food, to drink, favorite toys, security items, etc., He either did not want them or got disinterested in me trying to figure out the translation. Yesterday I figured it out.

He was saying "My" or "Mine Paci".

He can not say words with "P" or "B" (we're working on that). I did no think he was saying two words together except for a couple of two line phrases that are easily distinguishable. However it makes perfect sense. It was not the fact he wanted me to search out his paci each time but more of making it a statement that the paci was his. He will do that with other things, but just say "mine" and usually will either point to it or hug it if its a toy. So I think I have figured it out...finally because it is a little frustrating for a Mom trying to figure out what her toddler is trying to communicate but does not realize what he is trying to say.

No comments: