Custom Search

Thursday, September 17, 2009

~RIP Mary~


I was informed this morning by my husband that Mary from Peter, Paul and Mary has passed away after losing a battle with leukemia. Typically I don't write too much about celebrity deaths, but for this one I will.

Peter, Paul and Mary was one of my Moms favorite bands, so as a child I would listen to them quite frequently. I think I have always loved hearing their music. It always was so calming to me. Ask me the lyrics to the majority of their songs and I could (however horribly) sing them to you. I remember how my Mom would tell me how much my Grandfather HATED the song "If I Had A Hammer" when she would play the record over and over again as a teenager. He threatened probably after the tenth million time hearing it that he would going to take a hammer to that record. It bonded my Mom and I in a way because that would just make us want to belt out "If I Had A Hammer" even more so in honor of my Grandfather' s disgust of that song. I think of that story every time I hear that song and often when I think of my Grandfather I think of that song. It is just something ingrained in my memories and my Moms memories as well.

I will also think no one can sing "Blowing In The Wind" or "Leaving On A Jet Plane" like Peter, Paul and Mary could. Despite the great artist that have attempted to sing that song, they are still the best at it.

I also want in honor of Mary to share with you my top favorite Peter, Paul and Mary songs.

1. Leaving On A Jet Plane
2. Puff The Magic Dragon
3. Blowing In The Wind
4. If I Had A Hammer
5. Stewball
6. Lemon Tree
7. Where Have All The Flowers Gone?
8. 500 Miles
9. Cruel War
10.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
11.Early Morning Rain
12.Day Is Done

Rest in peace Mary. Your music brings a lot of happy memories of my childhood. Thank you for that.

No comments: