Custom Search

Friday, May 1, 2009

A Smile From a Car Window


Do you know that commercial where one person does a kind act to one person that pays it forward to the next person they cross, etc.,? I guess today (this morning) was one of those mornings for me.

I was on my usual rat race to work. Cars were stopping and going. People were tired, drinking their coffee while driving their cars. I was half awake trying to get to work as fast as I could because I was late...again. While I was stopped at a light, I looked down from my mini van (not sure why) to see a little face of young teenage girl looking back at me from a passenger side window. I am sure I looked like an old grump with a sour face and instead of her turning away, she looked at me and beamed a smile. It was a genuine smile. I couldn't help but smile back. Typically (at least us here Yankees in the North) look at people while on the road and either other people will stare back with blank expressions on their faces or one person will turn away and pretend like they didn't see them. I can't remember the last time I got a smile from a stranger and a teenager no less.

I know it sounds silly, but this girl seriously made my day just a little bit better. After her smile, I let people in front of me (even though they ended up driving REALLY slow) and I just overall was in a better mood all the way to work. So hopefully with my own "kindness" in giving another guy a break on the road or letting someone pass, then maybe they will in turn relax a little and do something nice for the next person and the next person after that. Its amazing what an innocent and genuine smile would do. Smile at someone today. You never know the effect it will have.

2 comments:

Amy said...

OK we are not Yankees. There might be that attitude, but Virginia even Northern Virginia is below the Mason-Dixon line. ;-)

~ said...

I obviously agree on the logistics of the line, but you know there is a huge difference here vs. a tad further south : )