Custom Search

Monday, November 23, 2009

We're Off To See The Wizard!


Yesterday my husband surprisingly turned on a movie classic, The Wizard of Oz. I figured he did as more or less there was nothing on and nothing child friendly recorded on our DVR. I half thought my son would ignore the movie and continue playing with his cars as he does on occasion when we turn on other kid friendly movies, but I was certainly wrong!

I think what got his attention was the tornado in the beginning of the movie. I was half hoping it wouldn't scare him as I tornadoes certainly scare the heck out of his Mom! He stared and while I half held my breath watching him watch the movie, he stood at the steps of the living room engrossed on what was on the screen. As Dorothy's house landed in Munchkin Land and she opened the door to a world in color, my son ran to the couch, covered his lap with a blanket and sat down to watch what would happen next. For the next 45 minutes the little man watched Dorothy meet the classic characters; the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion and that horrible Wicked Witch of the West. In all he loved it. I am not sure if it was the singing, the beautiful colored (now in HD) scenes or the characters themselves...there was Toto you know and my son LOVES dogs.

I couldn't help but smile. Usually I am more or less concerned the material my son watches in making sure it doesn't have inappropriate things my child doesn't need or shouldn't see. I don't agree with some kid shows...eww for Grossology. However this was different. I remember my Dad commenting how he was afriad of those flying monkeys when he was a kid. I remembered when I was girl thinking it so peculiar that "nice witches" existed, that my favorite character was the Scarecrow and really wished I could go see Oz (even with the fake Wizard). Now for the third generation, my son was watching this classic tale that has yet to rid of its magic. Its kind of amazing to see that even after all these years that this story, this movie still has an impact on the children that watch it. Thats just amazing.

No comments: