Custom Search

Friday, June 12, 2009

From Jay-Z to Sesame…music changes


I asked my husband the other day, since I was having a Sesame Street themed birthday party next month for my son would he mind getting a collection of Sesame Street/muppet music for the party? He eyeballed me for a moment and told me “no problem”. I know my son would love to listen to the familiar Sesame songs before and after the party so having it would be nice anyways. My son is a “get down” and “groove” baby. He has more dance skills then his poor Mama does and man does he bust a move when he hears “Elmo’s Song” or the “Sesame Street Theme Song.”


As I watched my husband tap away at his computer, it dawned on me that music has changed in our house. Of course we still listen to most of our regular day rock, rap and pop songs. I want my son to know songs from Supertramp, 80’s rock and 90’s music. Because of my Mother I love listening to the Mamas and Papas, The Doors, Peter, Paul and Mary, and Simon and Garfunkel and I appreciate that. Do I listen to Buffy Saint Marie? Not so much. If you think Janet Joplin was bad, this woman has a one up on her. Perhaps Ben may hate Guns and Roses or Black Eyed Peas, who knows? I just want him to have a love of music. His music is just a mix of “Its Raining Again” by Supertramp, “I’m A Little Teapot” and “Elmo’s World Theme Song”.


I remember the days my husband would burn music for just me. Things like Disney songs, nursery rhymes and muppet music did not really exist in our world once upon a time. He opened up Jay-Z, Usher and many other rap/pop artists to my world of music. Our son opened a new world of music to us. Having kids really does change every aspect of your life.


La la la la La la la la....little man's world...


No comments: