Custom Search

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reconnecting With Relatives


On a whim a few months ago, I googled the town my Hungarian relatives came from. I wanted see pictures, know a little history and know how the town is doing. On one google link, I saw a person query about if anyone had information on a family member who came from the same town I was researching. Funny enough, the last name of this person was my family name. The town in which we came from is quite small and probably had about seventy people living in it today, so it was too much of a coincidence not to write back.

After several emails back and forth and doing some research, it turns out that this person named Tamas (Thomas) is my fourth cousin! Our Great Great Great Grandfathers were brothers! What a find! He was able (as he is Hungarian) to have access to several archive records that dates back to the 1800's. He was able to help piece together who my relatives were in connection with him and give me information on who my Great Great Great Great Grandparents were, which beforehand we had only information up to my Great Great Grandfather. Tamas was also able to show us birth records of most my relatives, including my Great Grandfather which my Dad had a wonderful relationship with as a child and a young adult. Needless to say both my Dad and I were ecstatic and so was Tamas. Funny enough, we were always wondering what happened to our Hungarian relatives back in the old country and they were wondering about their Americans relatives whom we lost connection with generations ago.

Over the course of a few days, Tamas and I have started a wonderful relationship through correspondence. We literally talked through chat six hours yesterday. I don't remember the last time I talked to anyone that long. I asked questions about our family, what he was doing, things about Hungary, etc., He too asked questions about his US relatives, what I was doing in my life with my family and what is it like living in America.

I am so thankful that Tamas learned English and that I on a whim did a google search for the heck of it one day. It just goes to show you never know what you will find over the internet. Some things can be bad, but I have found other things you find out can be priceless. Knowing my family tree is so important. Seeing documents on my relatives regardless if is in Hungarian...I am just beyond grateful for.

No comments: