Custom Search

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Will You Read that Again Mommy?


I love reading. I love that my child loves to sit down, cuddle up and read a book with me. What I don’t like is reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear over and over again or The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I have memorized half a dozen books that my son has in his rather large toddler library and I think the list will continue to grow.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?…we’re going to read this again I can guarantee.

But who can resist a toddler with a button nose, shining eyes and a gleeful smile as he hands me a book we read two dozen times earlier in the day? Or when you get through a book, a little face looks up with an inquisitive expression and says “more” and signs “more” as well? Call me a sucker, I read whatever he wants to read again and again and again.

In the light of the moon a little egg lay on a leaf. This book again? Good grief!

I want to help his reading and I think it will with the amount of books we read per day. One of my favorite childhood memories is when I would read with my mother. As I got older she would read a page out of a chapter and I would read a page. Together her and I read the entire Little House on the Prairie series, Charlotte's Web, the Judy Bloom’s Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing collection, etc., I think because of that, I was always an excellent reader. I want my son and any of my future children to have that same memory. I want them to have a passion for books, writing and exploring all the different worlds you can only find on book shelves just like I did and still do.

F is for Flowers that smell so sweet! Can Mommy now go to sleep?

For now I read Brown Bear, and alphabet books and cute little pop up books. One day I am sure I will read The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn, Robinson Crusoe and many other classic stories with my little man and perhaps he too will have fond memories of the days him and his Mom would read together. Then when he has children a long long time from now, his kids are totally getting his Brown Bear, Brown Bear and that darn Hungry Caterpillar book.

No comments: