Custom Search

Friday, February 27, 2009

Maternity Clothes


You may think from the title of this post that I may start a post on how I loathe maternity wear. I don't though. Honestly I was that woman (along with my sister mind you) went out at three months pregnant and barely showing anything to buy maternity clothes. I was just that excited and so was my sister. I remember a woman commenting while she was buying clothes for her adult daughter (who was about to give birth) that we weren't even showing yet. We just looked at her and walked away. We didn't ask her opinion. We were in the moment...and I sort of still am.

Throughout my pregnancy, I didn't buy a lot of clothes. I bought some essentials like work pants and a few pairs of jeans. I also loved buying tops that accentuated my growing bump so I could show the world that I was going to be a Mama. Bed rest and the love of Breyers chocolate ice cream with waffle cone and sprinkles really helped put on the pounds. I honestly could care less about my weight when I was pregnant and thankfully only gained 35 lbs, because with my mind set I could of easily gained 100 lbs. However, that is not my confession.

My confession is that my son who is getting closer to turning two still has a Mom that wears some of her maternity clothes. Yup thats right ladies. I am sitting here wearing my khaki Gap maternity pants as I type this and loving my elastic waist band pants. Why do you ask? Part of it is laziness on trying on clothing because one I have to go to a store and then I also don't want to spend the money on myself. I also found that I am really neither a size 8 or a size 10, but a size 9. This size doesn't exist in the world of American ladies fashion. So I am screwed by either stuffing myself in a pair of pants or constantly hiking pants up so they don't fall off my butt. My husband really dislikes my maternity wear too. Not that he ever said this to me when I was pregnant, but he is right when some of the clothes make me look fatter. It doesn't do my body justice. However I work with what is quick, easy and painless in terms of clothing for me. Body image and looking like a MILF (sorry for the vulgarness) for me comes last.

I just wonder how many Moms out there are doing what I am doing. Will wear things that they know used to be part of their maternity clothing, but still wear it out. Anyone? Anyone?

No comments: