Custom Search

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Morning Rush


Most mornings my husband will take my son to day care as I go to work a bit earlier then him. This morning he surprised me with a request if I could take our son in so he could rest up a bit more. I cringed a bit as I looked at the clock still lying in bed and it was 6:45 and I was suppose to be at work by 7:00. I agreed and he rolled over to catch a couple more minutes of sleep.

My little guy is always so excited to see me first thing as I take him out of his crib in the morning. His little face just lights up and that always warms my heart. Getting ready with Mommy in the morning is busy. Obviously bathroom needs for me are never done in private. I have an audience of one sleepy toddler and two poodles staring at me with their beady eyes (lucky me). During my morning shower I flip flop from rubbing shampoo in my hair or washing myself to tossing up those bath toys that stick on the wall so my son can play as well outside the bath tub. Then as I brush my hair, my teeth and put on the little bit of make up that I wear to work, I juggle my little guy from reaching things on the counter or taking things out of the sink that he pushes in. Apparently my make up bag and contact case are the most interesting items to a toddler. However, he has learned a thing through the my chaotic bathroom routine on brushing his hair. He sees Mommy and Daddy doing it, so he wants to too. After a quick dress of clothes I laid out the night before, its time to get him changed. Changing my son is like wrestling a little pig into a diaper and a new outfit. He is usually more awake then and has better things to do then getting changed, at least in his little mind.

So after getting ready, changing my son, letting the dogs out and getting all the things ready in the morning it is off to day care and then work. I don't know about you, but after watching last week's episode of Desperate Housewives and the narrator saying that working Moms share that guilt feeling of leaving to work, is so true. I have always had that guilty feeling of going to work ever since I returned back after maternity leave and dropping my son off at day care multiples that guilt...along with some other feelings I had this morning.

As I entered my little guys day care, my little guy was stand offish while watching the other kids play and the teachers getting the kids morning breakfast together. I give a kiss on my son's cheek and tell him its okay and to go have fun. No later then I said that, my little guy ran over to a teacher, who promptly picked him up. He hugged onto her and didn't look back. I left the day care feeling guilty, jealous and missing my son. But whats a working Mom to do? I had to drive on and start my day a little late and a little out of sorts.

No comments: